Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cycling and more

I am trying to arrange a trip to Belgium for Alistair so he can cycle over there, where there is competition. It is far from easy. The logistics are just mind boggling but I keep chipping away at it hoping things will go well in the end. That is only if air fares stay within reasonable ranges. I shudder at the thought of how much extra I will have to shell out to have him travel by himself, AND, take a bike.

I took the non-functional Ergomo off his bike and then "investigated the unit." If it wasn't broken before, now it sure is. And there is probably nobody around to fix it.

My preparation for IM Lake Placid is so-so. I went to the pool today and swam 160 laps or 3/4 of an ironman swim. I inserted 30 laps of breathing on the left (helped with a buoy) but I cannot say I am ready to adopt this new technique yet. I think it will be a great success if I just go freestyle for the entire distance.

On Tuesday I rode 35 miles with Alistair, pushing on the climbs. Then yesterday I dropped off my bike and took the little ones to the pool, where I swam a mile and a half with some technical stuff in between. I swam some laps with Annelise, who is really getting better and she is now almost as fast as I am swimming freestyle (goes to show you how slow I am).

Monday I ran 8 miles on the treadmill, doing a "fit" test in the process. First successful, uninterrupted 4.5 miles at 9 mph. Then I ran another mile at 9 later. I keep on thinking I did not do enough volume for the ironman. But that is small potatoes compared to the horrible weather forecasts for Lake Placid. I hope I don't have to go 140.6 in the freezing rain.

No comments: