Monday, August 3, 2009

Junior Nationals in Bend, OR

No sooner did I arrive home from Lake Placid or I was on another flight to Bend, OR, where Alistair was competing in Junior National Championships. The trip from Lake Placid took almost 15 hours including a very long car ride back to Newark, where I almost missed my flight.

On Wednesday I flew to Oregon, where temperatures were soaring in the triple digits. First I flew to Portland and to my surprise Horizon Air actually served crackers and drinks (including beer and wine) free. How's that for service.

The flight to Bend was delayed but not by much. I arrived late at night and found some of the Team Specialized parents partying in the bar.

Nationals did not go well for Alistair. Before I arrived he had crashed in the road race was forced to abandon. When saw him he was full of bruises and his hip hurt rather badly. He limped when walking.

On Friday he had a time trial and not surprisingly, his performance was subpar. His hip bothered him and he had trouble maintaining a good cadence. He ended up in 48th place and behind people he had beaten earlier in the year in similar TT's.

To make matters worse, on Saturday in the criterium, he got caught behind a crash in the first turn and lost contact with the main group. He was pulled when the field lapped him. Fortunately he did not get hurt. And that was that for Nationals. Not good.

As far as vacations go, it was fun though. We went white water rafting, and explored a lava tube. We also went to the top of Lava Butte for a great view of the Oregon desert. We enjoyed a team barbecue one night, and there were lots of other fun things for the kids to do.

While in Oregon I ran twice on the treadmill. The first time I ran 55 minutes at an 8 mph pace and the day after I ran 7.5 miles at a slightly slower pace. Other than that, no exercise, but I need the recovery time. We got back home yesterday (Sunday) after an 8 hour drive.

No comments: