Sunday, January 9, 2011

Busy week ahead

In the coming days there will be only a few short updates. That is because I am attending the JPMorgan Healthcare Conference in San Francisco. There I will once again be reminded of how hard it is to develop drugs that work. Contrary to what people think, making a drug that works is very difficult. Even when everything looks great in theory and we all know the drug should work, and we know it works in animals, we often find that it doesn't do a thing in humans. That is something WADA should think about before putting out lists of forbidden substances. It may well be that we think these work, or that we have a rationale as to why they should work, but that means very little without a solid double blind study. And studies are sorely lacking here.

Westin St Francis, home of the JPMorgan Healthcare Conference

Today I ran 8.5 miles in the hills and it was pretty rough going. I hope I am not getting sick. My ribs are pretty much healed now but my shoulder still bugs me and I cannot sleep on my left side. My orthopedist thinks I need a cortisone shot but I am holding off for now. He says grade II AC separations are worse than either grade I or III (total separation) because the ends touch and they keep rubbing and that causes inflammation. It sounds logical and makes good sense, but who knows ? This type of medical reasoning is very common and I too have often indulged in it. Unfortunately it is largely unproven and probably just as often wrong.

Ergomo, with new battery

My Ergomos came back from the shop and they are fixed and outfitted with new batteries. One of these days I will write a product review on this item. For now, all I can say is that the Ergomo is the best deal in power meters out there -by a longshot.

No comments: