Saturday, January 3, 2009

Tally

Today I rode 25 miles on my mountain bike. The weather was nice but it was cold. Nevertheless I had a good time.

I also added up my workouts for 2008. In case you wonder, I spent 633 hours exercising, of which 99 hours swimming, 407 hours biking, and 127 hours running. In 2007, I spent 639 hours, of which 109 swim, 398 biking, and 132 running. Pretty consistent, wouldn't you say? All of that without a " master plan" or without an interim sneak peak. Just listening to the body.

I added up 2008 today. It was the first time I saw the totals or had any inkling of what they would be. Then I took a look at 2007 and found out exactly what I reported here. No sneak peaks, no previews, I did not even remember what I had done in 2007.

The 2007 numbers include 3 ironman races, and 1 marathon. I went on vacation to Europe that year too. 2008 had several short mountain bike races, one marathon, and one ironman, but no overseas trips. In the Spring of 2008 I got injured riding my mountain bike and was forced to greatly reduce my exercise load for several weeks.

Using reasonable averages for my fitness and where I live (in the hills) I would say I swam for about 150 miles (average 1.5 miles/hr), biked for 6,919 miles (average 17 mph) and ran for about 990 miles (average 7.5 mph). That adds up to a total distance of close to 8,059 miles.

I did not track my car mileage but I am sure it is quite a bit less. And that is the way it should be.

No comments: