Friday, February 27, 2009

Back home

Yesterday I flew back home via DC. It is a long journey and not at all a comfortable one. The first part wasn't too bad as a friendly person in Brussels gave me an exit row seat. Although the flight was long I could move around easily and there was plenty of room to stretch out. So far so good.  

Entry through DC was more or less OK too. The immigration guy took longer than necessary, I thought but overall things went well. I did not have to wait for my luggage for very long either and customs was fast. Next came the two hour layover and a full flight to San Francisco. I wasn't so lucky this time and the flight was full. I was seated way in the back. No room to move, much less to sleep. Not so good. The rest of the trip was uneventful, albeit very tiring.

I slept pretty well last night and only woke up once. No problem falling asleep again though so I can't complain. I also feel relatively good today and I was only lightheaded for a short time this morning. The sun really helps and the difference in brightness between Belgium and California is striking. The colors are just so much more vivid here.

I swam 144 laps or almost 1.7 miles, all free-style, non-stop. I did not swim very fast and it felt a bit awkward at times but overall I can't complain. The long swims seem to have had a lasting effect. Now all I have to do is work on my speed a bit. I wonder if that will take another 5 years too?

No comments: